— Orchid's victory quote
Orchid (also known by her codename Black Orchid (B. Orchid for short)) is a female fighter who fights with electrified eskrima sticks or tonfas, uses her legs to do spinning kicks and can transform into a fire cat. She, along with her half-brother Jago, is one of the main protagonists of the Killer Instinct series.
Orchid maintains a fairly consistent look throughout the series, with some slight changes between games.
In the original Killer Instinct, Orchid was a young, dark-haired woman wearing a green leotard with the word "HOT" written on the side in yellow letters. The ends of the leotard around her thighs had yellow lining, and she wore green gloves and ankle-length, high-heeled boots, the boots also had yellow cut-offs and extra weapons strapped to them. Orchid had a green and yellow headband wrapped around her head and possessed two plasma eskrima sticks she used in battle.
In Killer Instinct 2/Gold, Orchid had a slight redesign, with her leotard now possessing holes on the sides of her chest and cutting off at the 'v' between her legs, her boots extending all the way up to her thighs, and her eskrima sticks replaced with electrified tonfas.
In Killer Instinct (2013), she receives a complete design overhaul but in comparison to many other characters, she retains a similar design to her original appearance. Orchid has a pair of electronic goggles atop her head, a green armored bustier over a white top, green shorts with a belt around them, black cut-off gloves while on her left upper arm she has a green strap of cloth wrapped around her bicep, bandages wrapped around her wrists and a mini-computer on her right wrist. She wears a single shin-guard on her right knee along with another strap of cloth, and ankle high, high-heeled combat boots. Orchid once more uses electronic eskrima sticks in battle.
Orchid's retro costume mirrors her original 1994 appearance, but has longer boots that she has in KI2.
— Orchid's story mode description
Orchid, on the surface, has a flirty, feisty, and playful demeanor, toying with her enemies before beating them down relentlessly. Beneath her sassy exterior she secretly suffers from intense paranoia, believing that Ultratech is anywhere and everywhere and that it is her duty to personally destroy them. This is because of Ultratech’s involvement in the death of her father Jacob, who she was very close to. She occasionally has outbursts of sudden rage, which characterized in the form of her Firecats when she was a child. Her emotional instability is held together by her brother Jago who, although suffering from his own afflictions, does his best to support her.
Orchid fights in a military CQC style from when she was trained as a secret agent, though she mainly focuses her attacks on kicks. She wields two electrified eskrima sticks/tonfas and also carries a set of smoke grenades in the rebooted universe. Because of a government experiment performed on her grandmother, Orchid can also summon a flaming projection of a jaguar called a Firecat which explodes on contact with opponents.
B. Orchid is a secret agent, sent by an unknown group to investigate the mysterious disappearances that surround the Killer Instinct tournament. Her true identity and abilities are shrouded in secrecy.
For many years, Black Orchid has been amongst the code named elite of a professional spy organization working for the greater good of society. Her past remains hidden, including some things of which even she is unaware; she won't find out for some time yet that Jago is actually her brother. Realizing that clear evidence of Ultratech's crimes and dark ambition is proving impossible to come by, she eventually decides that the only way into the company is also the most dangerous: straight through the open front door. Once her superiors are persuaded of the necessity, she goes ahead and enters the tournament.
Stage: Chicago Rooftop/Chicago Alley
- Lasaken: Down, Quarter Forward, Forward, Any Punch
- Flick Flak: Charge Back Then Forward And Any Kick
- Fire Cat: Charge Back Then Forward And Any Punch
- Spinning Sword: Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back Plus Fierce Punch
- Ichi: Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back Plus Medium Punch Or Quick Punch
- Combo Breaker: Charge Back Then Forward And Any Kick
- Ultra Combo: Back, Forward, Medium Punch
- End Special 1: Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back, Fierce Punch, Fierce Punch
- End Special 2: Down, Quarter Forward, Forward, Any Punch, Fierce Punch
- End Special 3: Charge Back Then Forward And Any Kick, Medium Kick
- No Mercy 1: [Outside Sweep] Back, Back, Forward, Forward, Quick Punch
- No Mercy 2: [Stand Close] Down, Forward, Back Plus Quick Kick [Press Forward Kick To Stomp On Frog]
- Humiliation: Forward, Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back, Back Plus Fierce Punch
Escaping unscathed with vital information about the corrupt future plans of Ultratech, Orchid rushes back to report. Informing her superiors of Ultratech's evil intentions, they can now act in bringing about the destruction of the corruption presiding there.
- If the opponent is another Orchid during her breast flash No Mercy, instead of having a heart attack, she will throw her eskrimas down and stomp her heels in frustrated jealousy.
Killer Instinct 2
Eyedol’s death by Orchid’s hand freed massive energies, ripping UltraTech back in time. Now 2000 years in the past, Orchid must face a new challenge and an even greater foe.
The lethal secret agent remains as enigmatic as always. Had she been caught and detained in her infiltration of Ultratech, the authorities would eventually have exposed her as a valued asset of an international spy organization. However, Orchid's role in the tournament and ultimate victory over the warlord Eyedol yielded some very unexpected results, leaving not only her but most of Ultratech trapped two millennia in the past with rather more urgent concerns on their hands.
- Flik Flak: Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back, Any Kick [Great Opener]
- Ichi: Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back, Medium Punch [Great Opener]
- Tiger Slide: Quarter Back, Down, Quarter Forward, Any Kick [Great Opener]
- Tonfa Fire: Down, Quarter Forward, Forward, Any Punch
- Fake Tonfa Fire: Down, Quarter Forward, Forward, Quick Kick
- San: Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back, Fierce Punch
- Air-Burster: Forward, Down, Quarter Forward, Any Kick
- Air Double: Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back, Any Kick
- Throw: Forward, Fierce Punch
- Reverse Throw: Back, Fierce Punch [In An Opponent's Throw Move]
- Parry Move: Back Plus Hold Quick Punch
- Pressure Move: Forward, Fierce Kick
- Combo Breaker: Forward, Down, Quarter Forward, Any Punch And Kick
- Ultra Combo Breaker: Down, Quarter Back, Back, Quarter Back, Down, Quarter Forward, Forward, *Fierce Kick [Requires 6 Super Bar Blocks]
- Mini-Ultra Combo: Quarter Back, Down, Quarter Forward, Fierce Punch
- Ultra Combo: Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back, Quick Kick
- Ultimate Combo: Forward, Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back, Back, Forward, Fierce Punch
- 0-Combo Ultimate: Back, Down, Quarter Back, Medium Kick
- Super Ichi: Quarter Back, Down, Quarter Forward, Back, Fierce Punch [Requires 3 Super Bar Blocks, Linker]
- Fire Cat: Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back, Forward, Medium Kick [Requires 3 Super Bar Blocks, Linker]
- Super Flak: Down, Quarter Back, Back, Quarter Back, Down, Quarter Forward. Forward, Fierce Kick [Requires 6 Super Bar Blocks]
- End Special 1: Forward, Down, Quarter Forward, Any Kick, Fierce Kick
- End Special 2: Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back, Any Kick, Fierce Kick
- End Special 3: Quarter Forward, Down, Quarter Back, Fierce Punch, Fierce Puncj
- End Special 4: Quarter Back, Down, Quarter Forward, Any Kick, Quick Kick
- End Special 5: Down, Quarter Forward. Forward. Quick Punch
- No Mercy: Hold Back, Half Circle Back, Medium Kick
Kill Sabrewulf but don't kill Jago
Gargos is defeated. The way stands clear for the forces of good to rid the world of Ultratech. Cursing Orchid as he is dying, Gargos reveals that Jago is her brother and they'd both soon be dead. Separated at birth, the orphaned brother and sister are reunited. A new fighting team has been formed.
Kill Jago and Sabrewulf
Gargos is defeated. The way stands clear for the forces of good to rid the world of Ultratech. With his dying breath, Gargos curses Orchid to the same fate that had befallen her brother Jago. She returns home, but her victory is hollow, for the rest of her life she mourns the loss of the brother she never knew.
Don't kill Jago or Sabrewulf
Gargos is defeated. The way stands clear for the forces of good to rid the world of Ultratech. Cursing Orchid as he is dying, Gargos reveals that Jago is her brother and they'd both soon be dead. Reaching beyond the grave, Gargos possesses Sabrewulf and attacks. But Jago slays the wolf and the siblings return home to a new life.
Kill Jago but don't kill Sabrewulf
Gargos is defeated. The way stands clear for the forces of good to rid the world of Ultratech. With his dying breath Gargos curses Orchid to the same fate that had befallen her brother Jago. His spirit possessing Sabrewulf in a last desperate act. Gargos attacks, taken by surprise, Orchid falls and Gargos has his vengeance.
- Orchid's animation while using the Fire Cat is recycled from the first Killer Instinct game; the sprite reverts to her original appearance while transforming.
Killer Instinct (2013)
Paranoid, unstable, and disavowed from her agency, Orchid is determined to carry out her crusade against the dismantled organization, Ultratech. In war-torn Eastern Europe, she sets out to build an underground network that will prove Ultratech is still active.
The Firecat’s Summoning:
- Main article: The Firecat's Summoning
Combo Trait - Double Linkers: Ichi Ni San, when used as a linker, can be performed twice.
Instinct Mode - Cat's Call: Orchid calls her fire cat as the projectile to attack her opponent, leading to some unblockable mix-ups; the fire cat will no longer be used as a projectile after the Instinct Mode is finished, which she can turn into a fire cat of her own.
- Danger Zone
- Grenade Toss
- Flik Flak
- Ichi Ni San
- Blockade Runner
- Fire Cat: Summons the Firecat as a projectile.
- Air Buster
- Upper Firecat
- Shadow Flik Flak
- Shadow Ichi Ni San
- Flik Flak
- Shadow Flik Flak
- Flik Flak
- Ichi Ni San
- Blockade Runner
- Air Buster
- Shadow Ichi Ni San
- Upper Firecat
Ultra Combo Hits: 26 Hits
- Main article: Rebel Outpost
During an Ultra Combo, the apartment building in the background will be demolished after the helicopters shoots it down with rockets when they flew by.
Trivia: During the slow music due to characters not moving, her remixed classic theme, "K.I. Feeling" will play.
Spare Sadira, ULTRA Fulgore:
Gasping and defeated, Sadira reveals the identity of the one who sanctioned her life: ARIA leads a reborn Ultratech. With renewed purpose, Orchid becomes a mercenary angel of vengeance, bent on burning Ultratech to the ground.
Spare Fulgore, ULTRA Sadira:
Branded a rogue and psychotic, Orchid leaves behind a wake of death and terror in her single-minded campaign against Ultratech. As others are drawn to her cause, Orchid's network becomes an increasingly unstable and deadly global force to be reckoned with.
ULTRA Both Sadira and Fulgore:
With only personal conviction to maintain her crusade against Ultratech, Orchid nearly falters-- until she is again reunited with her brother, Jago. Each grappling with inner demons, they are strengthened by mutual cooperation, resolved to aid each other to the end.
— Orchid's intro quote
— Orchid sliding
— Orchid in her trailer and her Arcade Mode intro
— Orchid, seconds before performing her Ultra Combo
— Orchid, activating her Instinct Mode
— Orchid's Time Out Pose
— Orchid's KI1 Victory and Time Out Pose
— Orchid throwing her Lasaken projectile in KI1
- In Killer Instinct (2013), Orchid's KI2 costume was meant to be her retro costume but it was later scrapped and gave her Killer Instinct (1994) appearance instead.
- During development of the original arcade version of Killer Instinct in 1994, which at the time was under the original name "Brute Force", Orchid was not yet created, and in her place were two scrapped female characters: Roxxy/Roxy Rave and Wanda.
- Whichever the official name for this character was, according to her concept art, she is supposed to be an acrobatic fighter with a red top, red tights, red long stiletto high heeled boots, red long gloves, blond hair and blue eyes, wielding an electric bow staff.
- When heard very closely in her intro, a voice can be heard talking to and supposedly directing Orchid from her unseen communication device, saying "Orchid, confirm visual." and "What's your time estimate?". This is possibly a fellow member of the Disavowed or presumably her superior.
|Killer Instinct (1994) Characters|
|Playable||Jago ·Black Orchid ·TJ Combo ·Glacius ·Chief Thunder ·Sabrewulf ·Spinal ·Cinder ·Riptor ·Fulgore|
|Killer Instinct 2/Gold Characters|
|Playable||Jago ·Black Orchid ·TJ Combo ·Glacius ·Sabrewulf ·Spinal ·Fulgore ·Maya ·Kim Wu ·Tusk|
|Killer Instinct (2013) Characters|
|Season 1||Jago ·Sabrewulf ·Glacius ·Thunder ·Sadira ·Orchid ·Spinal ·Fulgore ·Shadow Jago|
|Season 2||TJ Combo ·Maya ·Kan-Ra ·Riptor ·Omen ·Aganos ·Hisako ·Cinder ·ARIA|
|Season 3||Kim Wu ·Tusk ·Arbiter ·Rash ·Mira ·Gargos ·General RAAM ·Eyedol ·Kilgore|