Killer Instinct is a 2013 fighting video game, developed by Double Helix Games under the supervision of Ken Lobb and with input from Rare. The game is published by Microsoft Studios and was released exclusively for Xbox One.
Killer Instinct follows a specific pricing strategy, such as being able to purchase fighters individually or all together in one pack. A free version (or demo) is also available, featuring Jago as the only playable character, along with all game modes. 
- Original announcer's voice available (Chris Sutherland)
- Classic costumes available for each character.
| || || |
|Jago||FREE||Free character available.|
|Single character||$5/ 4,99€||Price of each character (Glacius, etc.)|
|Combo Breaker Pack||$19.99 / 19,99€||- 8 first characters (6 from launch and 2 which will be available after)|
|Ultra Edition||$39,99 / 39,99€|| - Original Killer Instinct game|
- 8 first characters (6 from launch and 2 which will be available after)
The story continues where Killer Instinct 2 left off. Plot points include Jago suffering a crisis of faith after discovering Gargos was the Tiger Spirit, B.Orchid is still trying to destroy and end UltraTech, Thunder still searching for his missing brother, Eagle; Glacius crash-landing on Earth; and Sabrewulf trying to cure himself to regain his humanity using dark arts. The new Charcter Sadira enters the KI tournament for a taste of blood and to hunt down the other characters.
- Orchid: Attempting to flush out and shut down UltraTech
- Glacius: Crashed into Earth.
- Jago: Suffering a crisis of faith after being tricked by Gargos in Killer Instinct 2.
- Sabrewulf: Trying to regain his humanity by ripping out his cybernetic implants and turning to the dark arts.
- Thunder: Knowing his brother's soul is "restless", Thunder searches for answers on what happened to him.
- Sadira: Enters into the tournament for bloodsport and begins hunting down the other competitors.
- Shadow Jago: The Dark/Shadow version of Jago.
On March 16, 2010, Kenn Lobb announced that they were not working on Killer Instinct 3 and that they might bring Killer Instinct back someday.
On September 17, 2012, Microsoft applied for renewal of the Killer Instinct trademark. In an October 2012 interview, Rare veteran Lee Musgrave, who was the former head of art at Rare, spoke on the issues of making Killer Instinct for XBLA: "We came close to firing off a conversion of Killer Instinct a few times, but there were licensing obstacles to that, and it never really had enough perceived interest to push it forward." On December 4, 2012, Microsoft's renewal for the Killer Instinct trademark was rejected by the United States Patent and Trademark Office due to the possibility of the game being confused with the unrelated TV series of the same name that lasted for one season in 2005. Microsoft had six months to respond to the ruling. The trademark dispute was settled when Microsoft and Fox reached an agreement in April 2013.
On June 10, 2013, at the Microsoft E3 2013 Press Conference, Killer Instinct was announced as being an exclusive Xbox One title, developed by Double Helix Games. The revealed trailer shown 3 returning character from the franchise: Jago, Sabrewulf and Glacius. An interview with the dev team also revealed 3 more characters: Cinder, Fulgore and Spinal. Developers also said that they would like to bring more female characters to the Killer Instinct franchise. In an interview, Killer Instinct will use a specific marketing strategy. After the initial release, a free demo would be available, featuring Jago as the only playable character (including his Story, Training and Online mode against other fighters). Players would be able to purchase the full game pack or fighters individually.
It was revealed in a teaser trailer at EVO 2013 that Chief Thunder would be making a return.
Shortly after the Gamescom 2013, a new female character, Sadira, was revealed.
- Three members of Sadira 's clan can be seen in the upper left corner of Assassins Cave wearing a white version of sadira's old costume. They are on a balcony watching the battle.
- Broken tents and other materials are lying around on Devil's Landing.
- An alien orb is observing the battle in The Crash Site.
- Statues of tigers can be seen in Tiger Lair.
- In one of Chief Thunder 's retro costumes he is wearing a Killer Instinct Vest that shows logos of Rare and KI.
- In Glacius 's alternate color costume he has a slight resemblance to Spawn with green eyes and a black color.
- When the characters don't move during the fight, the music will slow down and play a remixed version from the original Killer Instinct Cuts.
- ↑ http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/killer_instinct/news/killer_instinct_pricing_strategy_to_be_announced_at_gamescom.html
- ↑ http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/23/killer-instincts-original-announcer-will-return/
- ↑ http://www.oxm.co.uk/58338/new-killer-instinct-xbox-one-trailer-features-glacius-hints-at-chief-thunders-return/
- ↑ http://www.destructoid.com/x10-killer-instinct-3-is-still-a-possibility-163876.phtml
- ↑ http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-15216-E3-2013--Killer-Instinct-is-Free-to-Play--Only-Gives-You-One-Character--Not-Developed-By-Rare.html
- ↑ http://www.rarefandabase.com/exclusive-fresh-details-from-the-developers-of-killer-instinct-for-xbox-one/