Killer Instinct is a 2013 fighting video game, developed by Double Helix Games under the supervision of Ken Lobb and with input from Rare. The game is published by Microsoft Studios and was released exclusively for Xbox One.
The game itself serves as a relaunch/reboot of the franchise after enduring a 17-year hiatus since its last title, Killer Instinct 2, was released.
Killer Instinct follows a specific pricing strategy, such as being able to purchase fighters individually or all together in one pack. A free version (or demo) is also available, featuring Jago as the only playable character, along with all game modes. 
- Original announcer's voice available (Chris Sutherland)
- Classic costumes available for each character.
| || || |
|Free Version||FREE||Free character available (rotated)|
|Single character||$5/ 4,99€||Price of each character (Glacius, etc.)|
|Combo Breaker Pack||$19.99 / 19,99€||- 8 first characters (6 from launch and 2 which will be available after)|
|Ultra Edition||$39,99 / 39,99€|| - Original Killer Instinct game|
- 8 first characters (6 from launch and 2 which will be available after)
The story continues where Killer Instinct 2 left off. Character-specific plot points include:
- Jago suffering a crisis of faith after discovering Gargos was the Tiger Spirit.
- B.Orchid is still trying her best to put an end to UltraTech.
- Thunder is still searching for his missing brother, Eagle.
- Glacius has returned to protect Earth while also trying to retrieve his ship's power core.
- Sabrewulf is trying to cure himself and regain his humanity with the use of dark arts.
- Sadira enters the KI tournament for a mere taste of blood. Her main goal is to hunt down and kill anyone she comes across.
- Jago: Suffering a crisis of faith following the discovery that the Tiger Spirit guiding him was actually Gargos, and now seeks to purge himself of whatever remnants of Gargos remain within him.
- Glacius: Has returned to Earth to recover technology he was forced to abandon on his last journey before it can fall into the wrong hands, while also searching for the thief who stole his ship's power core after landing.
- Sabrewulf: Still trying to regain his humanity, has almost completely submitted to his feral side and torn out his cybernetic implants, restoring his arms through the use of dark arts and developing an addiction to the medicines and artifacts used in the process.
- Thunder: Having learned that his brother Eagle was killed in the first Killer Instinct tournament but not knowing how or why, resorts to making something of an alliance with new UltraTech head ARIA in order to locate Eagle's remains and finally receive closure.
- Orchid: Despite their apparent destruction at her hands, believes that UltraTech is still active, and fully commits herself to finding and eliminating what remains of them. Having been disavowed by her agency, she emigrates to Eastern Europe to establish a rebel group. She also apparently suffers from paranoia to some extent.
- Spinal: Resurrected by an artifact known as the Mask of the Ancients, seeks to find the mask so as to remove the curse causing his immortality and allow him to finally rest in peace.
- Fulgore: A new prototype is constructed to protect UltraTech from its enemies, but it begins to develop self-awareness due to the residual memories of the human mind used in its construction.
- TJ Combo: Having lost everything and being scorned by the public, has removed the cybernetic implants from his arms and seeks to earn redemption.
- Maya: Second character of Season Two, story unknown.
- Riptor: Confirmed to return as the fourth character of Season Two, story unknown.
- Cinder: Presence hinted at in TJ Combo's trailer, confirmed as the final returning character of Season Two.
- Sadira: Her assassins are ordered by ARIA to hunt and kill the former competitors of the Killer Instinct tournament. ARIA also tells her to "prepare the way" by taking Glacius's power core and using it to open a dimensional rift.
- Shadow Jago: The Dark/Shadow version of Jago, and the hidden final boss of arcade mode.
- ARIA: The new leader of a revived UltraTech, she plans to eliminate the former winners of the last contest and to use Glacius' power core to open a rift to another dimension.
- Kan-Ra: Ancient Babylonian sorcerer who seeks to undo a curse that has left him rotting and achieve immortality.
- Fifth Character: A shadowed figure, the Herald of Gargos.
- Sixth Character: A "Broccoli Man" creature, described as an ancient golem.
- Seventh Character: A figure wielding a sword, who the developers refer to as an "Avenging Ghost".
On March 16, 2010, Kenn Lobb announced that they were not working on Killer Instinct 3 and that they might bring Killer Instinct back someday.
On September 17, 2012, Microsoft applied for renewal of the Killer Instinct trademark. In an October 2012 interview, Rare veteran Lee Musgrave, who was the former head of art at Rare, spoke on the issues of making Killer Instinct for XBLA: "We came close to firing off a conversion of Killer Instinct a few times, but there were licensing obstacles to that, and it never really had enough perceived interest to push it forward." On December 4, 2012, Microsoft's renewal for the Killer Instinct trademark was rejected by the United States Patent and Trademark Office due to the possibility of the game being confused with the unrelated TV series of the same name that lasted for one season in 2005. Microsoft had six months to respond to the ruling. The trademark dispute was settled when Microsoft and Fox reached an agreement in April 2013.
On June 10, 2013, at the Microsoft E3 2013 Press Conference, Killer Instinct was announced as being an exclusive Xbox One title, developed by Double Helix Games. The revealed trailer shown 3 returning character from the franchise: Jago, Sabrewulf and Glacius. An interview with the development team also revealed 3 more characters: Cinder, Fulgore and Spinal. Developers also said that they would like to bring more female characters to the Killer Instinct franchise. In an interview, Killer Instinct will use a specific marketing strategy. After the initial release, a free demo would be available, featuring Jago as the only playable character (including his Story, Training and Online mode against other fighters). Players would be able to purchase the full game pack or fighters individually.
It was revealed in a teaser trailer at EVO 2013 that Chief Thunder would be making a return.
Shortly after Gamescom 2013, a new female character, Sadira, was revealed.
On March 27, 2014, Microsoft Studios announces that Killer Instinct would continue to be supported by Iron Galaxy Studios and will continue the development of season 2.
On October 14, 2014, Robin Beanland released the full soundtracks of Killer Instinct: Season One and the original arcade game Killer Instinct in a bundle on iTunes for $12.49.
- Three members of Sadira's clan can be seen in the upper left corner of Assassins Cave wearing a white version of Sadira's old costume. They are on a balcony watching the battle.
- This currently appears to be the only instance in the game where there are spectator characters in the background of a stage (excluding the robotic orb in the background of The Crash Site).
- Broken tents and other materials are lying around on Devil's Landing.
- An alien orb is observing the battle in The Crash Site.
- Statues of tigers can be seen in Tiger Lair.
- In one of Chief Thunder 's retro costumes he is wearing a Killer Instinct Vest that shows logos of Rare and KI.
- In Glacius 's alternate color costume he has a slight resemblance to Spawn with green eyes and a black color.
- When the characters don't move during the fight, the music will slow down and play a remixed version from the original Killer Instinct Cuts.
- As seen in Fulgore's concept art, you will see words engraved in his left chestplate saying "Unit 3". This could possibly mean he is the third Fulgore in the series.
- ↑ http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/killer_instinct/news/killer_instinct_pricing_strategy_to_be_announced_at_gamescom.html
- ↑ http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/23/killer-instincts-original-announcer-will-return/
- ↑ http://www.destructoid.com/x10-killer-instinct-3-is-still-a-possibility-163876.phtml
- ↑ http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-15216-E3-2013--Killer-Instinct-is-Free-to-Play--Only-Gives-You-One-Character--Not-Developed-By-Rare.html
- ↑ http://www.rarefandabase.com/exclusive-fresh-details-from-the-developers-of-killer-instinct-for-xbox-one/